It's been awhile since I talked Star Wars Miniatures (Simon aside). It's a topic I ought to touch on more often. I'd like to post scenarios, but they (usually) take so long to balance, it's hard to justfiy versus other gigs at the moment.
However, I do have two past squads worked up some may find interesting. Back in 2007, I was asked to contribute one minis and one starship minis squad to Inquest Gamer magazine as a Killer Squad and Killer Fleet, respectively. They ran alongside the price guide pages and included some tips on strategy. While I'm not going to copy the article here (even though Inquest Gamer died some years ago), I will post the squads and a couple of hints to their use.
Issue #144 - Killer Fleet "Karrde Counters"
Class 2 Ships
- 1 Mon Calamari Cruiser Home One* (50 points)
- 2 Mon Calamari MC80 (44 points each)
Class 3 Ships
- 3 Rebel Cruiser (24 points each)
- 1 Wilde Karrde* (19 points)
Class 4 Ships
- 2 A-Wing Starfighter Ace (6 points each)
- 1 B-Wing Starfighter (6 points)
- 1 Luke Skywalker's X-wing* (9 points)
- 1 Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor* (7 points)
- 2 Rogue Squadron X-Wing* (8 points each)
- 3 X-Wing Starfighter Ace (7 points each)
Inquest renamed the squad, but that's ok, as it was a better name. Make use of the Command Counters early in the battle (even the first round), especially as Home One and Wild Karrde are prime early targets. Maximize the use of Obi-Wan's boost to other starfighters.
Issue #145 - Killer Squad "BC3"
- 1 Boba Fett (62 points)
- 1 Chewbacca with C-3PO (31 points)
- 1 Aqualish Assassin (7 points)
I've talked about this squad in a past episode of the Minis Mayham podcast (I think it was #5). This is a fun little 100 point squad that relies on movement and proper placement of the minis relative to each other. Basically, it diverts hits on Boba Fett over to Chewbacca with C-3PO, who becomes a damage sponge for awhile. Fett tends to move around Chewbacca/C-3PO, while the latter needs to remain in position to Draw Fire early in the game. It's also useful to review the errata and FAQ on their abilities.